This page will help you make sure that you get your bankruptcy discharge certificate, for the UK.  Your bankruptcy and the restrictions generally end when you’re ‘discharged’.  This is usually 12 months after the court hearing  officially made you bankrupt. It can be longer in some circumstances, eg if you don’t co-operate with your trustee.

If you’re not 100% sure of when you should apply for your bankruptcy discharge certificate, you can always check your discharge date online using the Individual Insolvency Register.

If you cancel your bankruptcy, all restrictions will end immediately and your details will be removed from the Individual Insolvency Register.

Proof of  bankruptcy discharge

Your bankruptcy discharge is usually automatic. To get proof, you can ask the official receiver for a confirmation letter. This won’t cost you anything.

However some lenders want to see an official certificate of discharge and for this, You must get a Certificate of Discharge if you want to apply for credit or a mortgage after your bankruptcy has ended.

How to Apply for a Certificate of  Bankruptcy Discharge

Firstly make sure by checking your date above, that is has been at least one full year before applying,  as you have to wait until a year after the date on your bankruptcy order before you apply for a Certificate of Discharge.

Download and fill in the official request form found on the UK Gov web site  – link is here >>  form LOC013.

It costs £70 for 3 copies of your Certificate of Discharge, and £10 for any extra copies. Keep them safe as you may need them for the next 10 years of your life. Send a cheque made payable to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’ with your completed form to the court that made you bankrupt.

If you were made bankrupt by the Central London County Court, send your cheque and form to the High Court.

High Court bankruptcy
The Rolls Building
7 Rolls Building
Fetter Lane

Bankruptcy registers

The Individual Insolvency Register is updated within 3 months of your discharge.

HOWEVER you must apply to both Land Charges  registry and the  Land Registry to have your bankruptcy entry removed from any properties you still own after paying your debts., otherwise they will remain active.  (Bankruptcy entries are automatically removed from the Land Charges register after 5 years if they’re not renewed.)

How to Apply to Land Charges

Send an application to cancel an entry in the Land Register (K11) to the Land Charges Department.

You need to include:

  • a copy of your court order permitting the cancellation (or ‘vacation’) of the entry
  • £1 for each entry you want to cancel

Land Charges Department
Seaton Court
2 William Prance Road

How Apply to Land Registry

You need to send Land Registry either:

You must include a copy of your court order.

Land Registry Bankruptcy Unit
Seaton Court
2 William Prance Road

All forms sent will be destroyed once the registers are updated. You can send copies of the forms and court orders if you write “I certify that this is a true copy of the original” together with your signature on the first page.

Your credit record

Credit reference agencies won’t be told directly when your bankruptcy ends – they’ll get this information from public records, however it may take some time for that to filter through. a Much better optio is for you to send them a copy of your discharge certificate and ask that they update their records accordingly. Mention to them that you expect the record updated within 30 days, and that they acknowledge the request and for them to also confirm their complaints process and ombudsman if they fail to update the records

make sure you get a copy of your credit reference report – contact a credit reference agency if it needs updating.

Your bankruptcy can stay on your credit reference file for 6 years from the start date of your bankruptcy. However please note many lenders for their formal credit and mortgage applications ask for the start and end date of any bankruptcy.

Debts that won’t be written off by your bankruptcy discharge

When you’re discharged from bankruptcy  you’ll be released from most, but not all, of the debts you owed at the date of the bankruptcy.

Debts you won’t be released from include:

  • debts arising from fraud
  • anything you owe under family proceedings – unless the court decides otherwise
  • damages for personal injuries to anyone – unless the court decides otherwise
  • debts which weren’t included in the bankruptcy itself, eg a debt to the Student Loans Company